Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Lucky Buggers


Here's a piece of useless local information for you. Pieter Dirk Uys re-named the Brisbane City Cats the Shitty Cats. And an excellent way of getting from that place sorta near Toowong beginning with a G to that bit of the river under most of the bridges and close to the city. You know where I mean.


My courtesy visit to colleagues on the 13th floor of a building in Adelaide St was at 11h00. I'm not quite sure how she did it but Dora had me at the entrance at 10h58. That was after letting me both ooh! and ah! at the mangroves, figs and other magnificent trees along the river banks, walked me across a bridge, shown me William Robinson in the old Government House (http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLG_enAU306AU306&um=1&q=william+robinson+paintings&sa=N&start=0&ndsp=20) and some really, really big fig trees.

Speaking of the old Government House. It's a large building. That's it at the top of this page. The decision to build it was taken in June 186?. Building commenced in October of the same year. Not bad going when one considers the 4 years it took to put the PopShack together. I'll tell you something else about Government House. The Gents is in the old potting shed; the doorway is my shoulder height. Oh, and the flags were all flying at half-mast for Poppy Day.
What was for lunch? Fresh rolls, cheese and tomato all chosen from stalls at the Farmers' Market, washed down with free tasting of Robert Cannon crispy, chilly dry white wine (I didn't look at, let along make a note of the cultivar etc). In the sun ...
... next to a stall selling eggs, "laid yesterday, lucky buggers."

No comments:

Post a Comment