Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mi laekem lao wik

Howzit. No pics today, I'm afraid. The Cafe Pacific Internet Cafe is slower that the old Notwane connection!

I was going to regale you with stories of cake (vanilla and coconut) between Brisbane and Melbourne; the ping ping Be-doop ping ping be-doop welcome at Bauerfield Airport by the Mangawira Local String Band be-doop; and especially about the camera flashes that accompanied the welcome by Chief Daniel (kgosi of the Erromangons living on Efeta), his sisters, niece and grandson (o-lei, o-lei, o-lei); waking Charles, Margaret, Viki and Baz (but not James and Eleanor) in the Big Chief Villa at Benjor Beach Resort; waking to waves and water; more ad hoc photo opps at the National Culture Centre and being dogged with "are you one of THEM" all around town. Oh, the price of radio and TV coverage.

But I'm not going to talk about any of that. We'll be Reconciling later in the week.

The Big News and Excitement today was stumbling across - oh, wait a minute. I may forget to ever mention the Wild Friendly Crocodiles of um er that Vanuatuan island up north beginning with M. Back in 1847, Bishop Selwyn stopped by in his wooden sailing ship, on the deck of which two small crododiles lurked in a tub of water. (Don't ask). Scenting the fresh water from the cascading waterfalls, they scrambled out of their tub, across the deck, launched themselves into the briny ocean and off to the rain-sweet streams. When His Grace awoke and saw what happened, he shook his fist in the general direction of the crocs and cursed them, "Do what you wish but never eat humans". Since 1847, they haven't eaten humans. Wild but Friendly, you see! (The things you learn by skulking on street corner with Pilane Leathers over your shoulder).

Back to what really got me excited. TUGETA LONG LOA TUGETA LONG JASTIS. Pretend it's seTswana, pronouce each letter and remember that "long" means in, onto, at, by, beside, alongside (okay, you gottit - prepositions). You'll get the picture. Vanuatu Law Week. A whole collection of Government and NGO stalls aimed at bringing law to the people. The Plis Fos has superb, simple posters calling for RESPECT (:-) if you know me, you'll know why this caught my attention) and applying the concept to everything from vilens long wimmin pikanini, through dagga to alcohol. I can't wait to get home and share that campaign with HE General Seretse Khama Ian Khama. The Public Solicitor's office is actually doing all the things my Legal Aid Report recommended for Botswana. The Ombudsman ... well ombuds successfully. NGO's make a difference against corruption. Everyone smiles and the Acapella Blong Jastis choir sings. Under coconut palms. And banyan trees.

Tell you what. I got a big kick out of it all, and meeting all the folks manning the stalls. I'm going back on Thursday for more - a tour of the court, speeches and theatre and and and. Going to have to leave it there; I'm due to drink beer (mi laekem Tusker blong yumi) with public solicitors who are hoping to organise some private ones to join us. Didn't plan it today, but it is happening. And they are going to try to get me to meet Government Ministers and people. Not because I am one of "Them" but because I'm "Me". I like being both.

PS: Remind me to snorkel some time, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment